Proper hydration is vital to every single system in our bodies. Without it, a myriad of health problems can occur, from annoying headaches all the way to conditions as serious as diabetes and cancer. But did you know that proper hydration provides many therapeutic benefits that help your body from head to toe, from inside to out?
Here are some therapeutic benefits to getting sufficient water intake on a regular basis:
- Stops Allergies and Asthma – Allergies and asthma are ubiquitous these days. When you’re body is dehydrated, it creates more histamines, which are organic nitrous compounds that regulate our immune response. If you have too many histamines in your system, you’ll feel congested and have difficulty breathing. Plus, histamines cause other allergic reactions caused by the body’s response to foreign bodies. Water will help ameliorate these effects.
- Reduce Bladder and Kidney Infections – If you’re well hydrated, you’ll have fewer frequent bladder or kidney infections, because water flushes out any unwanted microbes that try to accumulate in these all-important organs of elimination. And because these organs are responsible for eliminating stored toxins and bodily waste, they’re especially sensitive to disease. Regular and adequate water intake is key here.
- Reduce Acne, Psoriasis, and Premature Aging of the Skin – You know that glow pregnant women have? Well, you can have it too, with proper hydration. Without enough water, our skin can’t get rid of toxins, resulting in inflammation and congestion, causing itchy and red skin, dullness and acne at any age. Keeping your skin hydrated gives it what it needs to renew itself and keep it younger looking, longer.
- Pump Up Your Metabolism - Because your body needs to work hard to warm up cold water, drinking cold water burns extra calories, all without hitting the treadmill. And drinking water before a meal fills you up, keeping you from overeating. Don’t forget that sometimes when you think you’re hungry, you’re actually thirsty, so try drinking water when you feel hungry -- you may just find that you were thirsty instead.
- Get Regular - Water helps dissolve waste that goes through your digestive tract, allowing for smooth and easy passage on its way out. Dry, hard waste is a (painful) result of dehydration, because your body absorbs all of the water.
These are just five therapeutic benefits of water -- there are many, many more. So pick up a water bottle, drink throughout the day, and enjoy good health!